Whilst thinking about what is going to be needed when making the trailer, we realized that we would need a logo, or at least a name for a production company to appear at the start of the trailer and on the website and poster. Because of this, we thought of a name for the company, this ended up being “Global Productions” We wanted it to be similar to the name of “Universal”, implying that the films that this company makes are distributed world-wide, but did not want to explicitly copy it.
Once we had the name that we both liked, I set about making the logo. I’ve been making logos for various people/projects for a long time, this is why we decided that I should be the one to do this.
I never really plan when making a logo, which I know is not the best way to do things. But I think that I can get better results when I just “go with the flow” so to speak.
I started with the base of the logo, a pointed circle. I wanted it to look like a badge or a seal of approval, making the logo look more official.
Once I had this, I started to think about how each of the different layers should be positioned on the logo, I eventually decided on having an illustrated planet Earth in the center, with a banner over top displaying the name of the production company. So next I sourced two images: one a banner for the text, and the other the planet for the center of the logo. Both of these images came from websites offering royalty free images to be used in things such as this. I then took these images and made them suit the eventual colour scheme of the logo.
I decided that the colour scheme of the logo should represent the genre. Because of this, I used a simple two-colour scheme that would not be too ever powering on the screen, poster or website. The red of the colour scheme represents the colour of blood that is so often used in horror films, and the black represents the mystery and darkness that films of this type often feature.
After getting everything ready, I had to ‘assemble’ the logo. This, for me, is the most enjoyable part of the process as I am able to make sure that everything looks good when it comes together and position every so that they work together.
The final thing to do at this point was to add the text to the logo. I did this by using the Text Tool then skewing the text to make it work with the banner on the logo. I chose a font that one would often see on a logo that is similar to this. Although this font does not represent the horror genre, I feel that it does work with the logo.